Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My bad

This morning when I opened the door to the chicken pen to retrieve an egg I hadn't collected yesterday, I didn't close it. I was only stepping in for a second, I was right in the doorway, the chickens usually don't run out...yeah, yeah, I sorta kinda deliberately, knowingly paused to see what would happen. You know how a dozen things at once go through your brain and you let curiosity overcome caution?

Big, slow Muffin and little, quick Nora wandered out. Alanis took after Muffin who squawked and flapped across the yard and I took off after Alanis, whom I sorta kinda knew had been too far away from the chicken to catch up with her but I wanted to see if she'd chase the hen like an Airedale after a varmint. Yup. The poor girl has been in need of some entertainment.

A chicken being chased makes these bubbly noises that are hard to describe: bwak buggwy ack. It was easy to grab Alanis' collar and trot to the back door, the both of us quite cheerful while Muffin glared and settled her feathers.



I guess I've just been too well behaved lately and had to stop before it became a habit.

5 comments:

  1. It's okay, Alanis! We bet Muffin needed some excitement in her life too! You sure gave it to her, didn't you?!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao bella!

    Mia ragazza really digs your bloggie, and so do I. Well, come to think of it, I dig, period. Airedales!!

    Grazie mille for the encouraging words regarding my envy issues. You're right: Jinks could not possibly have been THAT perfectly behaved. I think mia ragazza is a Jinksy revisionist.

    We love watching how Alanis is coming along and will stop by often to visit. What a bella dolce ragazza she is.

    Tanti baci!
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chasing chickens is my forte! If you need any more help let me know Alanis!

    Love Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Alanis, chasing chickens sounds like loads of fun! Did you get a mouthful of feathers? Patches likes to chase skwerrels, but she hasn't caught one YET!

    Aire-hugs,
    Poppy, Penny & Patches

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just imagine your mums face when you gave chase!

    Mmmmm Chicken!!!

    ReplyDelete