Saturday, June 16, 2012

The cost of a dog

An article in the newspaper stated that the cost of raising a child from birth to age 17 (not including the cost of having the baby) is $234,900, with the price per child going down if you have several and they share rooms, clothes, and toys.

Share toys? "Mommy, he took my doll and tore her head off!" "Well, she chewed the ears off my teddy bear!" My personal breakfast table favorite from my own childhood is, "Don't look at me!" from the youngest of our Gang of Four.

The cost per year of a child ranges from $12 to $14 thousand. The point is this: according to the ASPCA the first year cost of keeping a medium dog is a mere $1,580.

But the ASPCA is wrong. First, there's no allowance for repairing the chewed wainscotting, drywall or dining room chair, not that I'm accusing any of my dogs but I've heard the stories. Nor did I see any price for gallons of Nature's Miracle or professional carpet cleaning. I guess those don't count as maintenance.

It gets sillier. Training is estimated at $110. Where I live, that hardly covers one basic obedience course. They think a year of premium brand dry kibble is $120. That's only three 30-lb bags if you find the stuff on sale at $40 per bag. By contrast, a year's food for one rabbit is given as $190. Huh? Is the rabbit eating the dog's food? The rabbit's litter is $415, a figure to prompt weird speculation about what goes in one end and out the other. As for toys and treats for the medium sized dog, the laughable figure of $55 is projected.
A few of his favorite things
Maybe Airedales count as large dogs? Large dogs get an allowance of $75 for toys and treats. Fortunately, the best squeaky toy doesn't have to be figured into the dog's budget. That toy is Dog-Mom (or Dad), who is priceless. Or in my case, beyond priceless now that my health insurance has gone up again.

10 comments:

  1. Yep, I got a good laugh when I read that figure! Considering my dogs eat better than most people, I know that figure is considerably higher over here! LOL Love that assortment of toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think those numbers are right!
    My mom says I am the reason she has not been able to change her car...
    Huh??
    Happy Saturday!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  3. We daren't ask how much we cost here!lol
    Cos we know we will suddenly become an excuse to say that word "No"!

    Have a great weekend
    Big Nose Pokes
    The Thugletsx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mommy said I'm as expensive as a child! Lately especially.
    XX-BRD

    Replacement toys are not cheap. I know we are worth all the cost...we keep Mommy grounded!
    WelshieHugs,
    Hootie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have they been living under a rock! What a joke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vet bills alone can leave that figure in the dust!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    P.S. But they're worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a joke, huh?! Somebody who doesn't own a dog must have written that! Love the toys!! Do I see a paper towel roll there?! I still get those from Ma, too!

    Kisses,

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. What planet do these people live on? I'm pretty sure those figures are, um ... way off! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. When visitors ask why we haven't done the remodel on the 2nd bathroom we point to the Bentman and tell them he is the remodel. Our million dollar dog- LOL. Worth every cent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm too afraid to add it all up...ignorance is bliss, and we are blissfully happy!

    Wyatt's mom

    ReplyDelete