Friday, August 27, 2010

Thieves!


After a too-wet spring destroying blossoms and reducing pollination, this has been a poor summer for growing anything. My plot of everbearing strawberries produced a couple of handfuls of blueberry-sized strawberries. This berry was one of the few normals, which I found on the front porch rail. Here's why it was not on the plant:
The thief didn't even have the courtesy to eat the whole thing.
Possibly the thief was the same squirrel who destroyed the single squash on one of my winter squash plants.
Not the work of slugs--those are teeth marks.
I'll just have to heap more compost and chicken fertilizer on the garden and hope for better luck next year.

Not for dinner.

10 comments:

  1. At least that evil squirrel left your pretty zinnia alone but a flower won't make a very filling meal!

    Love ya lots
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hear you loud and clear! Not much success in the garden down here either....A few yellow cherry tomatoes, that we ration out like a precious commodity. Better luck next year is right!

    Wyatt

    P.S. We have noticably less insects, bees and bats. We really miss the bats..loved watching them in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm following you back now. And I totally sympathize about the squirrels! I can't keep pumpkins or jack-o-lanterns outside as decorations, because I learned last year that the squirrels hollow them out, one bite at a time. Kind of like your squash.

    Little jerks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naughty squirrel!

    Such a shame..those straws look daleicious.

    Have a good weekend.

    Big Nose Pokes
    The Thugletsx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same problem with those evil skwerrels! Now, they even come right up to our back door looking for food or water! They check the bottoms of all our plants! You should hear the racket when one of us accidentally sees one so close to OUR house!

    Aire-hugs,
    Penny & Patches

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squirrelly thieves are the worst. Because of their actions this year, I was only able to savor two tomatoes. I kept finding them battered and laying on my driveway...wasn't the weather either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Weekend.
    Nice woooh
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, It's the darned deer that eat all our greenery here. Everytime I get excited about a tree or bush or veggie "coming of age" the deer decide to ravage them. I have had quite a few good tomatoes thus far, but am still holding my breath. That flower in the last photo is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having to compete with the bees for my muscadines. And I'm sure not going to kill any of them cause they pollinate all the other stuff.......

    ReplyDelete