Monday, February 20, 2012

This is not funny

But it is if you have an Airedale sense of humor and are good at visualizing. First some background.

My new local dog park has a rule that dogs shouldn't wear harnesses in the park. The rules committee decided this after consulting with other parks and a trainer. Some people have protested and many ignore the rule.

The park also has a special area for small dogs, just as doggie daycares do. There's no rule saying small dogs must be confined to that area; but several people protested that, too, claiming small dogs were being discriminated against.

Yesterday one of the park stewards saw a large dog scoop up a small dog by its harness and gallop joyfully around the park dangling the little dog like a purse. The large dog enjoyed his new toy without chewing on it or shaking it or doing anything aggressive until frantic people caught up and released the  small dog who was then put in the small dog area.

Surely it was my evil twin and not me who cracked up when reading about the incident, which could have ended very badly if the large dog had not been a good-natured goof. I do hope that all the people who protested learn about what happened and understand that what they thought were over-controlling and mean spirited rules were carefully developed for the safety of their dogs.

(Speaking of safety, I hate the new word verification for comments; but as soon as I changed the setting to eliminate verification, I had to deal with a bunch of spam. How are others coping with this?)

10 comments:

  1. I would have laughed too! People don't always realize that rules are for their benefit! I turned off my word verification and haven't had any trouble with spam......yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're sure glad the little doggie wasn't hurt.
    We turned off word veri too and so far, so good!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I laughed too. Our fav dog park is divided in two, when a questionable dog is present we go to the other side and close the gate. Every one can still pass to the other side, WITH their owner.
    The verification words don't bother me at all, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shudder to thing what could have happened to that small dog. So many people think their small pups can hold their own in any crowd...ummm...not so much.

    I haven't forgotten about the bird toys that I promised to send. Expect them around the beginning of March. That gives me some time to make more toys, as my stock is being depleted fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can totally picture the larger pooch carrying his "prize" around the park! Funny vision. BUT,that could have gone a whole nother way.
    Smooches,
    BabyRD & Hootie

    Cassie here: I detest the new word verification. I'm afraid I will have to stop commenting on blogs that have it,as my eyes are already bad...I have tried 3X on one blog and that distorted, blurred thing just was not clear to me. Finally I just gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness that have been such a sight, we are glad the little dog was fine.

    We are struggling with word verification and feel, for the benefit of our readers, we need to turn it off. We are struggling when we go to blogs with it on now.

    Molly, Taffy, Monty and Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH My I would have loved to see that and I have a good mental picture. Too funny!

    I didn't know I could turn off word verification...so I just may turn it off.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear friend,

    Sorry for not dropping in awhile :) I've been busy working (helping mom) thus kind of forgot to update my blog.

    I might not be able to post as often as before so please head over to my newest post and leave a comment so I could add you on mom's new site. With this we could still keep in contact and it'll easier for me to drop by often to your page :)

    Love,
    Autumn & Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, as long as the little dog wasn't hurt, it IS sort of humorous. But scary, too.

    We've had a few more spam comments since we turned off the WV, but not too bad...

    ReplyDelete