Saturday, January 23, 2010

A training breakthrough!

Not MirĂ³’s breakthrough but mine. It’s an ongoing struggle to keep his attention when we see another dog or some crows on the ground or a squ****l when we’re on a walk. Instead of “no pull” or even the “look” command, I say, “Touch.” He has to turn his attention from the object of interest to touch his nose to the palm of my left hand which is down by my side. I laugh and he gets a treat.


We learned “touch” in beginning obedience as a way to start teaching a dog to heel off leash. You can also put your hand against the wall or door knob (like I’d want to teach him to open a door). The problem is that I never learned what comes next. For instance, what if I want him to put a nice, snoolly nose print on the window instead of my hand, how do I teach that?

5 comments:

  1. That's so funny! We can hardly believe he'll do that. Mommy wishes we could,but we try to stay as far away from obedience as possible. Sit,stay,shake,down and the newest 2: roll over(for Hootie) & bang-bang (for me) are all we'll do...and then not always!HA!
    XXX-BabyRD and Hootie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to TEACH him how to put a nose print on the window? My Mummy gets that for free!
    Nibbles
    Nelly xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are master nose print artists! We do it on ALL windows, mirrors, etc., for free! No prompting required! You're doing a great job, Miro! You're already waaaay ahead of US!

    Aire-hugs,
    Poppy, Penny & Patches

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I just wanted to give you the heads up on a first-of-its-kind contest for dog related Blogs that my company – TrainPetDog.com - is holding to identify the 20 best dog-related blogs on the web.

    It’s called the TrainPetDog.com 2010 Dog Blog Award and as far as I know, it’s the first such contest in the history of the web.

    To register your Blog for the contest, visit
    http://www.trainpetdog.com/blog-form.php

    If your blog is selected as one of the 20 finalists, you’ll receive $50,450 worth of prizes from us, including invaluable exposure in our web site - viewed by more than 4 million visitors yearly - and in our weekly newsletter that is received by more than 600,000 people every week.

    For more information and for participating in the contest, please go to http://www.trainpetdog.com/blog-form.php

    Thanks,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We think, if anyone needs to be taught, it's the pinkies: Appreciation for window Aireart.

    ReplyDelete