Thursday, March 14, 2013

$1200 later

Alanis' $400 teeth cleaning today morphed into $1200 with the unexpected radiographs, additional anesthetic, and extractions. For that price, they should include false teeth; instead the vet took out five. Poor Alanis has the worst teeth of any dog I've ever owned. She's also on her way to outliving my previous Airedales. Maybe running less and sleeping more helps you live longer.

The weird thing is that her front incisors are worn down to nubs. The vet says that will happen with dogs who chew on toys a lot and/or like to carry tennis balls around. In the 4+ years I've had her, I've never seen Alanis do more than pick up a toy and drop it again. The only chewing she has done was on the occasional bone.

I did learn that tartar and other tooth problems build up faster in older dogs. Her teeth had looked OK six months ago and were in bad shape today. The veterinarian, as vets do, suggested brushing her teeth. Right. Like trying to brush the teeth of the Looney Tunes Tasmanian Devil when he's in dervish mode.

Alanis will get soft food for the next seven to ten days. I bought some canned food to have on hand but cooked ground beef, potatoes, and carrots for her and mashed it all together. Miro will be soooo jealous. Anybody know how much of that stuff to feed a 40-lb, elderly Airedale?

10 comments:

  1. I would guess about 2 cups of food total. Maybe a little more.

    Do you give Alanis bones to chew on? I know raw feeding keeps my dogs' teeth looking great. You don't have to go fully raw to get some benefit. I know a lot of people that feed kibble but treat with a turkey neck (or chicken neck for small dogs who won't gulp it down) a couple times a week to clean teeth.

    And I think some dogs, like some people, just have bad teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the bad teeth. I had to stop giving Alanis the hard kind of beef bones but both dogs enjoy raw chicken wings. I haven't tried turkey neck; they may be harder to find.

      Delete
  2. Poor girls! Hope Alanis an your wallet are feeling better soon.

    Love Ruby & Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, poor Alanis. Hope the mouth is feeling less tender by now. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so beautiful, Alanis! We hope you feel better soon, sweety!
    When angel Maggie was on her kidney diet, she ate 5/8 cup of ground beef twice a day and 1/2 cup of rice or pasta twice a day and basically 1/2 cup of anything that was kind to her kidneys twice a day. Maggie loved hard boiled eggs. Maybe you would too, Alanis! Maggie was closer to 55 pounds so you might want to eat a wee bit less but then again, maybe not! hehe

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor girls, Alanis for the dental work and you for the $$$ to pay for it. Sometimes I think that dogs are more expensive than kids.
    I don't know how much you should feed but it sounds like some of the other ladies have given good advice.

    Have a lovely weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch!
    Sure it was not fun!
    I hope Alanis will be fully recovered soon!
    I was thinking too that 2 cups would be fine.
    Take care
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Alanis,
    Stanzie feels your pain and mom felt the same pain in her wallet last week. We had one extraction and a mass biopsy, some antibiotics, a new batch of anti-inflammatory and some blood work and our invoice was identical to yours. The good news is Stanzie is feeling good, her teeth are sparkly, her breath is fresh and we hope she will be with us for a few more years.
    Enjoy your special food while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, her poor toothers, hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminded me I have to schedule dentals for Mesa and Big Carl...

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete